Friday, May 7, 2010

Caution: Handle With Care

Sometimes I wish I could wear a sticker around that says that... Caution: Handle With Care!

This has been a rough week - remembering how last year was. And with Mother's Day fast approaching - a day where I get to celebrate all the mom's in my life (who I am so thankful for), but don't get to celebrate myself. As, to the outside world, there is nothing here to show that I am a mother. And many don't consider me one. But I am a mother (and I am saying this as much for myself as for anyone).

I love my babies before they are growing inside of me.
I do anything in my power to give them everything they need, a warm home, healthy food, plenty of rest.
I make sure that they don't feel any pain in this world. Or at least pray that they never did.
I give them their daily vitamins.
I love them daily, and miss my two babies more than life itself.

As for the babies I have yet to have, I do the same as above.
I go through countless sonograms, blood tests, procedures to make sure that everything is OK for them.
I take, on any given day, at least $20 of medicine to make sure I can get them as healthy as possible.
I get shots in my stomach.
I pray for them, hope for them, dream of what their life could be like.
I picture snuggling them and spoiling them rotten.
I can't imagine my life without them.
And I (not so) patiently wait for them.

And all of these thoughts never really entered my mind until my hubby brought them to my attention... We are doing so much for these little babies. Yet, to so many, we are not parents. But that's OK. Because those people don't really get it.

And you know what - I wouldn't change anything above. Yes, I would have my two babies here with me in a heartbeat, but they have taught me so much in their short little lives. And if I can't get them back, then I will forever be thankful for what they have given me. Afterall, they are the ones who have made me a mommy. And they have made me more fragile. But I think the world could use a little more caution... don't you?

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you two all morning -- knowing this could be a hard day for you. Hang in there and know you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    The love you have for your children (peanut and pickle plus the ones to come) shine through with every word you say. You are an incredible mother! I completely agree that while I would love to have my angel with me, the things she taught me are lessons I couldn't have learned otherwise. I know May is a hard month for you and I'm hoping it passes as peacefully as possible for you. Sending you many hugs,

    Keri

    ReplyDelete