It hit me this weekend that we are moving in about 4 months! And it got me thinking about all the things that I am going to miss about our little log cabin.
This is the house that I walked into on the day after our wedding a married women. This is the house that we sat on the deck with our family and friends opening up all our wonderful wedding gifts. This is the house that my new husband and I had so much fun unpacking and arranging. This is the house where we made our first "adult" purchases - new cars, couches, etc. This is the house where countless parties occurred. Where countless amounts of laughter could be heard. This is the house where traditions were made. Annual pig roasts, annual bonfire parties, annual fall parties. This is the house where we got to host long-standing traditions like interview weekend party, the psychology holiday party. And where we celebrated friends and sibling's engagements. We held our first Christmas with my parents here. We got to use our china for the first time in this house (even if we have only used it maybe twice). This is the house where I met and fell in love with this fluffy dog who lived here long before we did. This is the house where I said to my hubby that "I wouldn't get attached to her." This is the house that he laughs at me still to this day about that statement. Where I get to watch my husband play on tractors and watch our friends get their cars stuck on the dirt bike track. Where we have people come to spend the night. And play legos with our niece. Where friends and family bring their dogs to run around on the 20 acres. Where we can just open the door and let our dog roam around without having to worry about her. This is where we feel safe. This is the house that we lay on the hammock on a warm summer night and watch the stars. And where snowmobiles and cross country skis are used. Where a million picture frames display our happiest memories. This is the house where friendships were made, and lost.
This is the house where many tears have been shed - good and bad. Where we found out that we made two human beings. Where I will always picture telling Matt that we were pregnant - once on a Thursday night in cold March, once on Christmas morning. This is the place where I will always think about when I remember his reaction. This is where he read to my belly during those innocent days when we thought nothing could go wrong. This is where we came to hide when we found out we were not going to be the lucky ones - twice. Where we hugged eachother and asked God why so many times. This is their house. This is where I pictured bringing a baby home to in November of last year. This is the house that has a bedroom that I cannot go into. That has a half finished dresser, because there was no longer a reason to finish it. This is a house that holds the cedar chest that is filled to the brim with hope and disappointment and heartache.
This is where we feel at home. This is our home. A home with 3 living souls and two angels. And we will miss it.
Do you have any favorite memories about the Willerick ranch?
It is the house where I walked in the first time and was told "Please take your shoes off". I was flabergasted because Katie was the one who NEVER took her shoes off in our house. It is the house where we spent a wonderful Christmas Day with family - we all missed Brent but he was getting engaged which made it OK. It was the place where we celebrated that engagement with new family and many many friends to wish the couple much happiness. It is the house where Molly loves to go and run and play with her best friend forever and they have become so close that sometimes we can't tell where one ends and the other begins (when they are sleeping together).
ReplyDeleteBut mostly it is the house where two wonderful people have lived and grew together into a perfect-beautiful couple. But always remember that it is only a house - the two of you made it a home and you will make the next house a home also. May the next house you make a home bring much happiness into your lives.
Love Mom Y
Hi Katie. I put the addy for the shrine under your comment but wanted to give it to you here just in case you don't see it. http://www.innocents.com/shrine.asp
ReplyDeleteThe stuff came in today & it's beautiful!...I will add pics soon!
(((HUGS))
~Kari